Thursday, February 4, 2016

Need To Know: Diving The Great Barrier Reef

IS DIVING THE GREAT BARRIER REEF SOMETHING YOU HAVE ALWAYS DREAMT ABOUT?

What are you doing to make that dream happen? 
diving the great barrier reef
Photo Source: DIVING CAIRNS
In 2009 I started making my dreams happen by moving to Alaska and turns out that it was just the start of the rest of my life. From then on, I was bound and determined to continue living my dreams - so what did I do next? I booked a plane ticket to Australia!
One of the motivating factors of choosing Australia was diving the Great Barrier Reef because it was something I had wanted to do since I was a little girl. Growing up I was spend hours reading National Geographic, watching Blue Planet, learning how to become a marine biologist - the ocean completely consumed me then and still does.
It is slightly surreal when you find yourself in adulthood and making off items on your dream list and knowing you did it all by yourself.  Journeying to Australia was like embarking on my own personal pilgrimage and diving the Great Barrier Reef was like finding the Holy Grail. There truly are no words to how incredible and life changing it was.

I WANT TO SHARE WITH YOU THE NEED TO KNOW: DIVING THE GREAT BARRIER REEF FACTS SO YOU CAN BE MORE PREPARED THAN I WAS FOR THE LIFE CHANGING ADVENTURE.

diving the great barrier reef
First: You need to have on you your "C" Card (certification card) or qualification papers in order to dive the reef. 
With that being said, I joined a day trip expecting to just snorkel because I hadn't been certified, but when I boarded the boat the mate asked me if I wanted to dive. I of course answered yes and that was the end of that. While cruising to our dive location, I was taken aside and given a 15 minute course on diving.
In hindsight, diving the Great Barrier Reef with this group was probably not the safest option but hey...coulda, shoulda, woulda!
Second: If photographing underwater...USE A FLASH!
I made the horrible mistake of not using my flash when underwater and all my images came out dark. My photos did not truly represent all the beautiful colors the Great Barrier Reef is - do not make the same mistake.
Third: Do your homework!
There are hundreds of companies that provide dive/snorkel tours of the Great Barrier Reef, do not settle on the first one you come across.
Diving the Great Barrier Reef you have so many options like whether you want to see sharks, sea turtles, day trip, night trip, multi day trips etc. Don't be like me and just hastily make a decision because chances are its the only time you will do it. For a list of options visit Diving Cairns official website!
diving the great barrier reef

WHEN YOU SAY YES TO DIVING THE GREAT BARRIER REEF YOU ARE SAYING YES ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING ADVENTURES ANYONE COULD EVER HAVE - SAY YES BY BOOKING YOUR ADVENTURE WITH US!


UNITED MILITARY TRAVEL 

866-582-9579

APPLY HERE

diving the great barrier reef

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so very much for taking the time to visit my blog! Traveling is very dear to me and sharing my travels and desires with you makes my heart smile. I want to hear all about your adventures because sharing travel stories is the root to all inspiration. Also, any suggestions you may have on how I can improve this blog - I am all ears!!
Smiles,
Allie xoxo