Thursday, May 8, 2014

Military Travel Loan to the Outer Banks, North Carolina - Part 3 - Kitty Hawk to Nags Head

...Bodie Island...
"I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could."

I love the smell of the sound and the ocean, watching the ospreys and pelicans feed and dance in the sky, feeding the seagulls, waking up for the sunrise and having a glass of wine to the sunset.  I love spending the day at the beach, barbecuing, finding shells, reading on a porch with the ocean air cooling you off.  I love taking a cool shower and feeling the sun on your skin, taking walks by myself and feeling safe.  I love being able to see the weather coming and feeling it as it changes.  I love having multiple ecosystems around me and all at my finger tips.  I love the laid back atmosphere.  I love that just waking up there I feel inspired.  
I simply love the Outer Banks.

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

When driving through all three towns you will notice markers on the side of the road...
 Mile markers - (yes, that really means there is a mile in between each one, even a 1/2 mile marker too.)  If you need to know where you are or where you are going, describe it by which mile marker you are at.  
You can thank me later for that tid bit of info :) 


...Kitty Hawk...

Kitty Hawk Pier

I have to say that out of the beaches between Kitty Hawk and Nags Head, Kitty Hawk's are my favorite.  That may sound funny to you, but trust me when I say they really are all different.  Kill Devil Hill's offers beaches that are not as wide and the sand is super grainy.  Nags Head the width of the beach varies, the sandy is super grainy and there is a steep drop off in the water.  Kitty Hawk reminds me more of the beach in Corolla :) For accommodations, United Military Travel can hook you up with any of the amazing hotels all along the Outer Banks...just tell them what you want and they will take care of it!

Things To Do:
Fish, or surf Kitty Hawk Pier or get married there!
Take a hike through Kitty Hawk Woods 
Enjoy a night out at Trio...wine, beer, and cheese shop.
Have portraits taken that will last a lifetime.
Spend your entire day at the beach....everyday :) 

Places To Eat:
Arts Place is a local dive with THE best burgers around!
Black Pelican has amazing stone oven pizza, seafood risotto, and atmosphere - one of my faves!
Good Life Eatery for a mouth watering, delicious deli sandwich and gourmet drinks etc.
John's Drive-In on the beach road because they give all dogs free "puppy cones" and has killer milk shakes.

...Kill Devil Hills (KDH)...

Avalon Fishing Pier
Also known to me as restaurant alley.  This is where you will find the most stop lights but that means more places to dine and shop.  KDH is a great place for families because there is literally something for everyone to do.  If you want to learn to surf you can rent a board from Ocean Atlantic Rentals, or take surf lessons from any of the local surf shops and for the kids, there are mini golf courses, playgrounds, go-carts.  For the teenager, let them wander the beach and know they are safe!  For the adults, you have a smorgasbord of restaurants and bars for food and happy hour :) Also, the Outer Banks is home to some fantastic artists and if you would like to add to your collection check out any of the art galleries....my favorite is the KDH Cooperative Gallery.  

Things To Do: 
Surf, boogie board, or paddleboard - Ocean Atlantic Rentals 
Eat, drink, swim, layout
Beach games

Places To Eat:
Mama Kwan's is hands down my most favorite place to eat on Bodie Island.  Order their fish tacos blackened!  Your life will be changed :)
Bad Bean Baja Grill for yummy mexican.
I Got Your Crabs for fresh, locally caught blue crabs that will blow your mind!
JK's for a killer steak or seafood.

...Nags Head...

Jennette's Fishing Pier
I love Nags Head.  It is much more relaxed and the further south you go the more "remote" it feels.  The island gets narrower here, as you can see in the picture above, making the sound more accessible to you.  Nature lovers - you are home here!  Here you will find some amazing places to watch the sunsets and may I suggest not missing one of them.  Get out and go fishing but make sure you buy a fishing license and if you are not a North Carolina resident you can purchase just day passes!

Things To Do:
Kayak or paddle board the sound.
Take a tour of the OBX via the sky!
Fish via the sound, the beach, pier or bridge.
Get out with your camera and photograph the beauty around you.
Make memories with your family.
I am obsessed with the Cotton Gin - you have to do a wine tasting from the local winery, Sanctuary Vineyards

Places To Eat:
Pamlico Jack's is fun for the family as they offer a pirate ship to dine it - sunsets here are fantastic. 
Brine and Bottle is on the causeway and offers the freshest, local seafood and ingredients on the beach.  Amazing wine list and views of the sound. 
Miller's Waterfront Restaurant offers food for the whole family!


I don't know about the rest of you but I am booking my summer vacation right now.....having a trip to look forward to has always helped me get by :) 

www.unitedmilitarytravel.com
866-582-9579
cheap travel loans! 









1 comment:

  1. This is such an amazing places to stay. White sand, luxury travel experience and a lot of adventures on the high seas. Can’t wait to be here. Thanks! That’s why I love your articles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking the time to visit my blog! Traveling is very dear to me and sharing my travels and desires with you makes my heart smile. I want to hear all about your adventures because sharing travel stories is the root to all inspiration. Also, any suggestions you may have on how I can improve this blog - I am all ears!!
Smiles,
Allie xoxo