Friday, October 23, 2015

Alternative Travel - Cruise On A Container Ship

cruise on a container ship

THIS IS SOMETHING NEW TO ME, PAYING TO CRUISE ON A CONTAINER SHIP.

Why would you choose a container ship over a luxury liner that offers fine dining, discos, cocktails with little umbrellas, and diversity?
For  expat Rebecca Hall, the answer was simple; she wanted to live out her life motto.  She lives her life by this, "Life Beyond Borders", which is also the name of her amazing blog.  So in 2013 she booked her trip onboard a container ship that departed from her "home" country, Greece, and sailed to Hong Kong all by herself!
People frown when I tell them that's exactly what I did; in 2013 I was the only passenger on board an 83,000 tonne container ship from Athens to Hong Kong. 37 days with a crew of 27 men, via ports in Italy, Spain, back to Piraeus in Athens, through Suez to the pirate area of the Arabian Gulf (where three security force guards joined the ship for 10 days) to Singapore, and then the South China Seas up to Hong Kong for my disembarkation.
On her blog she documented each and every day sparing no detail about what she did during the days at sea, conversations with the captains and crew, what she ate, and what she learned.  Literally, if you ever wanted to know more about what it would be like to cruise on a container ship her have to read her blog because she did a fantastic job sharing her experience!

THIS CRUISE ON A CONTAINER SHIP WAS NOT HER FIRST EXPERIENCE BUT RATHER HER SECOND!

Back in 2005 this adventurous gal cruised the across the Atlantic from Europe to the Caribbean...again all by herself!  Read more about her adventure here to learn about her meals with the senior crew, how she got to be a spectator to their safety drills, and really why she chose to do it.  Her stories are simply amazing!
When asked why she was doing it by her close friends her answer was simple:

“THE JOURNEY’S ALL PART OF THE FUN…BESIDES, YOU SHOULD UNDERSTAND, BEING AN EX MAN OF THE SEA.” DAD

Having been nurtured since birth on stories of the great high seas and countries afar, my wanderlust for all things original had certainly been, in part, from his gene pool.
This to me is something I can relate too because I too have grown up in a traveling family where they have nurture my need to see the world and ingrain in me the importance of seeing the world.
Way to go Rebecca, keep following your dreams!!!
I have nothing but admiration for her and it makes me wish that others would be as adventurous and courageous as Rebecca.  Maybe this blog post and her story will inspire you to consider alternative travel methods as well.

UNITED MILITARY TRAVEL 
#MILITARYTRAVELLOANS #TRAVELLOANS 
866-582-9579 

united military travel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so very much for taking the time to visit my blog! Traveling is very dear to me and sharing my travels and desires with you makes my heart smile. I want to hear all about your adventures because sharing travel stories is the root to all inspiration. Also, any suggestions you may have on how I can improve this blog - I am all ears!!
Smiles,
Allie xoxo