Sunday, August 3, 2014

The Dreaded OVERNIGHT layover!!!

There is nothing worse than traveling ALL day and being one connection away from home when you get told your flight has been cancelled and the next one is not until the following day.

My heart sinks...
 I get mad...
Then I stomp around...

After that I finally consider my options...
Hopefully I am in one of these cities to take advantage of their fantastic airport hotels!

Next time this happens to you book a night of luxury - after all YOU DESERVE IT!
Who knows maybe you have left over approval through United Military Travel that it won't cost you a thing that night!

> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > 

InterContinental Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport, South Africa
This upscale, stylish, award winning hotel is only 75 yards from the international terminal of the airport and offers an array of other amenities than a plush bed.  You can view the runway of the busiest airport in South Africa through their floor to ceiling windows, swim laps in their olympic size pool, or dine at an award winning African restaurant.  

Sofitel London Heathrow, UK
This hotel is directly connected to Heathrow Terminal 5 via walkway and the other terminals via free inter-terminal transfers.  One of my biggest problems when I find myself in need of a hotel in a big city is navigating their "metro" or making back to the airport in time.  While you may be paying a little more to stay here the convenience is totally worth it.  

Crown Plaza Hotel Changi Airport, Singapore
I would choose to stay here solely because of the funky architecture but another plus is that it is linked to Terminal 3 making it easy to access international flights directly.  Crown Plaza Hotel has created a tranquil oasis in the midst of busy Singapore by surrounding you with lush tropical gardens and a lagoon-style landscaped pool.  For travelers that find themselves this far from home they can take advantage of yoga classes to relax their bodies before their next adventure or if you are with kids let them watch a movie in their movie theatre or tired themselves out on a giant slide!   

Airways Hotel Port Moresby, Papa New Guinea
This quirky airport hotel is located in a picturesque mountainside setting but do not let the remoteness full you.  The interior has contemporary features with high quality furnishings and modern amenities.  With views of Bootless Bay you can take a dip in the ocean before trotting off the airport that is located just across the street from the hotel.  

Grand Hyatt, DFW, Texas, USA
This hotel is a direct part of the Dallas Fort Worth Airport International and offers guests a rooftop saltwater pool, guest rooms with pillow top "grand beds" and soaking tubs.  Also, one of the best features of this hotel is that that they let guest check in for flights directly from the lobby of the hotel!

Kempinski Hotel Airport, Munich Germany
Located directly between terminals 1 and 2 the 5 star Kempinski Hotel offers a special touch for the women travelers.  The suites are stocked with fresh fruit, magazines and fluffy blankets to make the "traveling" life easier for business women.  Also, the hotel offers an extremely attentive 24 hour concierge service to assist  with restaurant reservations or tickets to local events outside of the airport.  

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

So lets remember to ALWAYS look at our situation as positive - you can explore a city that you may not have anticipated seeing or just take a night to pamper yourself.  Also, if you have booked your travel through UMT, call them and see if they can help you add the hotel to your travel loan!

1 comment:

  1. Excuse me Allie, you left off a very important airport ... Charlotte Douglas International! And if you have a layover there, then you call me and say, "Aunt Annie, I'm stuck in Charlotte overnight... can you come get me and take me out to eat, and let me stay at your house tonight?"
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for taking the time to visit my blog! Traveling is very dear to me and sharing my travels and desires with you makes my heart smile. I want to hear all about your adventures because sharing travel stories is the root to all inspiration. Also, any suggestions you may have on how I can improve this blog - I am all ears!!
Smiles,
Allie xoxo