Tuesday, May 26, 2015

In Remembrance

united military travel, memorial day, honor the fallen, military, military travel loans, travel loans
For many people Memorial Day is not a holiday that brings joy and happiness but rather sorrow, heartache, and reflection.  For those of us who have not been affected personally by war, we truly have no understanding of how hard it must be for the families who have.  On days like yesterday, those who have experienced loss have to watch as people rejoice for the day off work, and the ability to drink mass quantities of beer on a Monday, rather than honoring those who have died for their freedom.
Today I came across some staggering stats, ones that really put Memorial Day into perspective for me.  Military Times has devoted a page of their website entitled, Honor The Fallen, to the soldiers who died in service.  You can search through the different conflicts like Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom and find photos of the fallen and details of where and how they died.
Did you know that the Army has had the most casualties out of any other branch?  At 4,954, that is 3,476 more deaths than the Marine Corps who only has 1,478.  Then you have to consider the ages of those who have died, and this truly is what breaks my heart....
Deaths by age:
18-22: 2,469
23-28: 2389
28-35: 1433
35-45: 801
45+: 149 
The majority of the fallen are just kids that didn't even have the legal right to drink yet, but were considered "old enough" to give their life for their country.  I am at a loss for words right now.  I am so disgusted with the rules and law our government has created that trying to described my true feelings just wouldn't be appropriate for the blog.  
In WWI the number of casualties total were over 37 million, ranking that war one of the most deadliest conflicts in human history.  It is so hard for me to wrap my head around fighting and war because I am a peaceful person.  I like to stay out of other people's business and let my neighbor go about their lives however they like.  For the current war, yes I believe in it because we need protection against terrorist, and those who fight are among the bravest people on the earth.  Simply, I believe in war only to protect ourselves and our country.  But for religious persecution or conquering new territory, I would love to just tell those "tyrants" to get over themselves! 
In reflecting on Memorial Day and taking the time to truly understand how many have died for our country, it makes me re-evaluate my feelings on war.  War is like a double edged sword unfortunately, but everyday I am more than grateful for the beautiful country I call home and the ability to live freely.  My life is amazing because of the courage of our troops, I will forever be indebted to them.
United Military Travel was created out of the love we have for our troops.  We wanted to create a service that was just for them and share one of the most amazing gifts on the earth....travel.  Military travel loans helps our soldiers take their families on vacations, re-united families, provides emergency travel assistance, and personal happiness.  Our troops honestly deserve more than what most can give them, but at least we are trying to show our appreciation.  If you are in the service and would like to take a vacation or fly home to your family, apply here for your travel credit.  You can then speak to a travel consultant to go over everything we can offer you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so very much for taking the time to visit my blog! Traveling is very dear to me and sharing my travels and desires with you makes my heart smile. I want to hear all about your adventures because sharing travel stories is the root to all inspiration. Also, any suggestions you may have on how I can improve this blog - I am all ears!!
Smiles,
Allie xoxo